Green Day Billie Joe freaks out at the I Heart Radio Music Festival and smashes guitar

5 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Seems like a valid topic for discussion. What do you guys think about this? My first thought was oh, listen to the little sell out whining about not having any respect. But then I was thinking He has a right to be pissed off. I imagine putting a Green Day show on is a hell of a lot of work for a lot of people. What about his obligation to his fans? Cutting someones set by nearly 50% right before going on stage is pretty shitty. I don't know the details surrounding big festivals lie this but I've be curious to know. Did they get paid the same amount. Should Green Day fans get a partial refund? Then again is breaking your own guitar and throwing a temper tantrum really the proper way to deal with this. Why didn't he talk about the details of the situation?

"Here to do great things."

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
I'm scared to make a judgement.

I will say I am now of the opinion that it's probably best in a situation like that to just keep playing and let them cut the electricity if they like.

Not sure if he knew before that one minute sign came on that the set was being shortened, but I would have respected his ignoring it.

MMM's picture
MMM
Just heard he as apologized

Just heard he as apologized and checked himself into a rehab. Talk about ruining a punk moment. It didn't seem like that big of a deal. It's not like he trashed the whole place. I heard this on CNN by the way. Changing times, used to be smashing your guitar was just another day at the office for Kurt Cobain. Then again...uhhh yeah...

MMM's picture
MMM
3 Ways Green Day Just Had the

3 Ways Green Day Just Had the Least Punk Rock Meltdown Ever

Read more: 3 Ways Green Day Just Had the Least Punk Rock Meltdown Ever | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/3-ways-green-day-just-had-least-punk-...

MMM's picture
MMM
I think this incident may

I think this incident may officially signify the death of punk for me.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
I used to buy Cracked magazine.

As a kid in the 70's I knew about Mad, but had never heard of Cracked and decided I'd go with that instead.
I'd either buy it with my allowance or maybe my mom would buy it for me.

In reason #1 the writer assumes that Billy is comparing himself to Usher when he says he's been around since 1988.
That may be the case, but it also is possible that he was just saying he should have a full time slot because he'd paid his dues.

Why was Usher allowed to go over his agreed ending time by 25 minutes?
Did Clear Channel consider him more important?

I agree it was no punk rock moment.
This is a punk rock moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNOUz7uefA